Sunday, May 6, 2012

The Avengers and Recent Editions of D&D

I saw The Avengers last night. I'm not going to provide any spoilers, but I did want to say how much I enjoyed the balance between seriousness and comedy in the movie. I like the movie didn't take itself too seriously. I find self-deprecating humour very funny. When I flip through the books of more recent editions of D&D, I miss the humour. That's probably why I like images of adventurers getting their asses handed to them or depictions of characters in situations beyond their control.

3 comments:

  1. "Characters in situations beyond their control" is why Donna 'D.J.' Barr is my favorite Traveller artist, even over Dave Dietrick. Her cartoons capture the game as it tends to turn out in actual play.

    I think you really nailed the problem with so much recent gaming artwork: too much 'adventurers being badasses,' not enough 'adventurers handed their asses.'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That depends really, I'm quite fond of my characters being badasses, I like the artwork that way too, and for the game to reflect it. If the game is brutal, it should definitely show the adventurers getting their butts kicked - the art should always accurately depict the game, but since newer editions have the adventurers actually being badass, the artwork reflecting that is a good thing, not a bad thing.

      Delete
  2. A good laugh is always appreciated.

    ReplyDelete